Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I just don't know how I feel about this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070528/ap_on_re_us/book_burning

Anyone else read this? Anyone else sickened by it? I get it but I just can't justify his indictment of society by burning books. What about New Orleans libraries and schools that were so devastated by hurricanes? Could they use the books? There have to be other ways than burning them? I'd always heard good things about Prospero's but this guy is maybe just a little apeshit crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This makes me sick to my stomach. I know from experience that there can be a lot of frustrating red tape involved when you try to donate a large number of books to nonprofit organizations, but there is always someone who would be grateful to have them. What about donating to the local library's used book sale, taking a box of bestsellers over to the local firehouse (those guys have a lot of down time) or giving them to a nursing home? This guy hit a couple of walls, turned petulant, and started destroying the artform he should have been protecting.

Moreover-- people had to BUY the books to get them off the funeral pyre?? Talk about a hypocrite.

This reminds me of the story about the British activist who recently ate a dog to protest the royal family's fox hunting. Way to get your name in the paper and forfeit all integrity, guy.