Thursday, November 08, 2007

Skipper, this is Pat. Pat, this is the Skipper

The latest book censorship dust-up is happening in a West Virginia high school. Parents want two of Pat Conroy's books, The Prince of Tides and Beach Music, banned because of "violence, language, sexual content or adult situations". Students in the AP English class say they are prepared to take the matter to court (good for you, you smart kids, you).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/ap_on_re_us/book_battle

I got to meet Conroy many years ago. A really decent guy but what struck me most was his resemblance to Alan Hale, Jr. the Skipper from Gilligan's Island. Perhaps in these photos, it's hard to see but in person--whoo boy!

Here are some photos. A caveat: try as I might, I couldn't find one w/ Conroy and Bob Denver but I'll keep looking.

No comments: