Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year

Greetings to you, the readers of this blog, few and far-flung that you are. I hope whatever you chose to celebrate was fulfilling and was like a tonic to you.

I'm behind on some posts though I assure you they will go up soon. Until then, here's a link worth a look:

http://www.ccsu.edu/amlc07/Overall_Rankings/Top10.htm

It's always interesting to see who ranks and why. I was sorry to see Cincy drop just out of the top ten. We are so lame at so many other things (football, baseball, urban development, race relations, etc.)
, it was a lovely surprise these past few years to be so high on a list like this.

If any of you remember me chastising my sister for not having read The Kite Runner, all is well. She read it and enjoyed it, as I knew she would. However, she did write to tell me that she had some trouble at the beginning because she's "uncomfortable with oppression". Yes and I always tend to root for the fascists whenever possible. They usually have a better fashion sense than those pesky underdogs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But wait!

The top 10 cities in the bookseller category, which ranks for every 10,000 people the number of retail bookstores, number of rare and used bookstores and number of ABA members, are:

1. Seattle
2. San Francisco
3. Minneapolis
4. Cincinnati
5. St. Louis
6. Portland, Ore.
7. Pittsburgh
8. St. Paul
9. Cleveland
10. Washington, D.C.

There now. Feel better?